Thursday, July 10, 2008

Perfect Pizzelles

I found a recipe online for GF Pizzelles and put my own spin on to it! I originally wanted the recipe to make ice cream cones - I bought the thing to roll around...not much luck! They didn't come out good! But if you're better at rolling than I am, all the best luck to you! LOL! but they make perfect pizzelles that taste like the real thing! My eldest daughter commented on how buttery they taste (without butter)!

1/2 cup Spectrum 100% palm shortening
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs plus 1 egg white (if you're using smaller eggs, make it 4 eggs)
2 cups Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Melt shortening and cool a bit. Beat eggs in large bowl, add vanilla and beat. Add sugar to egg mixture and beat well. Add shortening and beat. Sift in flour, xanthan, baking powder, and salt into wet mixture. Beat all together until consistency of a loose dough. Bake in pizzelle maker. Makes about 2 dozen pizzelles

If dough is too thick, add another egg white and beat it in. If you want a different flavor (e.g. anise), add about 1/2 teaspoon of flavoring.

No comments: